Beware! Quarantine!

The Peach has some kind of systemic infection. Started on Wednesday with the puking as previously conveyed. Next, my youngest became a grumpy troll who was sure we were about to tear down her bridge. Either that or passed out like someone slipped her a roofie. Then a low grade fever, hovering around 100°. Yesterday afternoon, mild rash on her belly and fever suddenly shot up to 103.6°. With the ear thermometer. Which always reads low.  Rushed to the doc while forgetting I left the oven on at 400° with chicken in it. Ears clear, throat red but clear from any obvious infection, belly soft, eyes OK. Throat swab negative for strep. PA brings in the doc because “I can’t find anything to treat her for but I don’t want to send you home without treating her.”  Doc comes in, another thorough exam, throughout which The Peach is morosely silent, sort-of-diagnosis of likely bacterial infection, probably strep but in her system, not localized. Antibiotic and home with a list of scary symptoms that would necessitate an ER visit. Luckily, whatever it is is getting it’s ass kicked by the antibiotics and while she is still kinda lethargic, her mood is better and her fever, while not gone, is considerably better. She’s passed out now.


Princess Punk started complaining about stomach cramps when I got her up for school yesterday. Naturally, I assumed she wad just trying to get out of going to class and told her she could stay at My Mom’s with the baby if she relinquished her phone and nook. When she agreed with minimal objection, I realized this was not a fake and brought both the girls to My Mom’s, fully intending to go to work though I felt like I’d been run over by a Mac truck. When I told The Princess that, she asked me what a Mac truck was and I told her it was an eighteen-wheeler.

“Oh. Like Optimus Prime.”

“Yup. I feel like Optimus Prime picked me up then slammed me on the ground like he just made a touchdown.”

Anyway… Off to Mom’s where I realized my charming Princess had left the majority of her diabetes paraphernalia at home. Stomped out, went home, got her crap, went back to my car and called in to work. Back to Mom’s and spent the day with My Mom, a grumpy Peach and a sleeping Princess. Princess Punk slept all friggin day, ate about 2 bites of food and her blood sugar didn’t drop below 200 all day. Trace ketones. I forced her to drink as much water as possible when she was conscious, checked her blood sugar every 2 hours and administered insulin as needed. Fever of 101.3° by late afternoon. This morning, no fever but body aches and a waking blood sugar of 367 with small ketones. Next level up is moderate which requires a call to the endocrinologist’s answering service, then large which requires a trip to the ER. Adjusted her basal rate up temporarily, the constant flow of insulin she gets from her pump 24/7. Hopefully that’ll keep the D Monster in it’s cage. She’s passed out now too.


Me? Tired and achy recovering from the iron infusion. Oh, and the usual killer headache.

At least The Zen Master is OK. Oh… Shit… Just jinxed him didn’t I? Sorry babe.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: